Monday, February 7, 2005

CONTROLLED YELLING

I've been sick. Actually everybody I know has been sick. There is some kind of germ thingy going around this area and absolutely everybody is getting it. Fortunately I've just about got it whipped. I was beginning to think this was going to be a pretty miserable semester if I was going to have to sing with this coughing and sniffing going on. 

Speaking of singing. HAPPY DAY, I did end up getting the voice instructor I wanted, begging works. At this point I have only had two sessions with him but I am very very excited to be working with this particular teacher and feel like I will make more progress than I have ever been able to. It is strange though. We are trying to develop a style for me, that of a "belter". I seem to have a rather low voice for a female (basically contralto). So with that and my age and my desire to do theatre in mind this is what I should be doing. It's weird though, it feels like I am not singing but basically yelling. I mentioned this to the instructor and he says "Yes, that is pretty much what real singing is, sort of a controlled yelling. Not what I am used to, but it is proving to be interesting. I really don't know why but I just really do trust what he is telling me and with me that is half the battle. Trust is an issue I need to work on. 

I heard another weird thing today. I heard that I might be surprised at how successful I could be with my singing and theatre pursuits and that I needed to think about that. Hmmm, what do you make of that? I'm thinking a lot about that. 

Bad news though, alas, I have had to drop a class. The stage movement class turned out not to be what I needed to do at this time. It just didn't seem to be working for me and since it came immediately before the ensemble class I was having no time to warm up to prepare for it so a choice had to be made and the music won out. Good choice for now though I am sure. 

There really hasn't been a whole lot of other things going on, not that there has been any time for anything else. I am staying pretty busy with these classes. 

We do have a couple of new restaurants I want to tell you about. For now though I do have just one quick review. Here it is: 

"DON'T EAT AT THE "BIG EASY" IN PLANO JUST OFF HWY 75, IT SUCKS!!!!!!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment