Monday, March 1, 2004

SONNETS AND MONOLOGUES

Apparently not all the brain cells are dead. I say this because I have spent the past couple of weeks selecting and memorizing both a Shakespeare Sonnet, which up until this time I didn't even know he had sonnets, and a monologue for my Acting class. 

I must admit I am really really surprised that I was able to do that. I mean I haven't had to even try to memorize anything for so many years I can't even tell you. So, I was pretty impressed with myself for getting this accomplished. 

So far I have only had to do the Sonnet in class once. Today I managed to not get picked before the time for class was over. However I will definitely have to do it Wednesday. I was able to find a book that had the sonnets written out in modern English so I at least have some idea what I am talking about. I wasn't really as nervous as I thought I would be. At least I didn't have to run around the room saying it or lay on the floor like a couple of others did. It's a technique, don't ask. 

The monologue on the other hand is a totally different story. I did it the first time and it was awful. I shook all the way through it and then the instructor didn't even understand what it was about. I wasn't really surprised because when I did it for my husband he didn't get it either. Well, I was sure that if I had to explain it to an auditor in an audition that would probably not be good, so I changed to another one. 

The new one is very self-explanatory and I feel like I won't have to tell everyone what it is about. It is sort of sad and I have it memorized. Now I'm trying to figure out if I want to try to cry at the end or not. Some times I sort of can others I just lose the moment in the middle and tears won't happen. 

This acting thing is getting to be more stressful, but more fun at the same time. I think I'll keep going.......at least for now. 

At the bottom of this post is a link for comments, please feel free to share with me some of your thoughts on what you just read.  

No comments:

Post a Comment