Sunday, June 27, 2004

ACHY BREAKY FINGERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



You may have noticed that it has been a while since my last post. Well, I decided that I wasn't stressed out enough so I should go ahead and tackle a summer Guitar class. I don't know if I mentioned that I got a great new custom left handed guitar for Christmas last year. Up until this point I had been trying to teach myself to play this thing with very little luck. So I figured that a class was what I needed for a good start. I was afraid that I might be developing some bad habits that would be too hard to break later so it was off to school.


Okay, I don't know about you but I have never before taken a summer class. I vaguely knew that it would be more condensed than if I had taken it in a regular semester, I mean you are trying to get five months of learning into six weeks of classes. But I sorely underestimated the pace at which they throw things at you. Now in most types of classes this would not be such a problem as you listen, read, etc. But in guitar this is not the case. Basically, we are getting a week's worth of classes per day, which means a new weeks worth of hand, eye, and brain coordination each day. Probably not such a daunting undertaking if you have a young fresh brain that is not crammed packed with many many years of useless information, but for me, well let's just say, my brain in not so young and fresh. In addition my fingers and their coordination and ability to develop new ways of moving? Yeah, I am sure they are having to forge totally new trails through an extremely overgrown and sometimes neglected jungle of brain cells.


That said though, I am having a great time with this class. I am learning to play this thing, in fact I am learning classical guitar which is more than I had hoped to be able to do in the beginning. I was going to be happy with knowing a few chords, this is so much better. On my part the going is slow, but I'm thinking in the end it's going to be worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment